1.14.2013

Book I Read Half Of And Then Just Went to the Movie Instead

You probably could have guessed it:  Les Miserables, by Victor Hugo.

I had great intentions of reading the whole book before I saw the movie (because I've never seen the musical either).  Then I found out the book is 1500 pages long.  No, thank you.  So I found an abridged version that was *only* 600 pages long.  Do-able.  And I tried, I really did.  I got through Fantine's depressing existence and Cosette's childhood and I was really loving Jean Valjean's unwavering morality, and then I got to Marius and we started talking about French politics...and I just. could. not. go. on.  I'm sorry, Marius!  You're just too boring!

So, with knowledge of only half of the story, I gave in and we just went to see the movie instead this weekend.  (Just in time, too, since it did quite well for itself at the Golden Globes last night!)  I honestly ended up with mixed feelings about it, possibly more on the bad side than the good, but I'll just stick to what I loved and leave out the parts I wasn't so crazy about.
  • Anne Hathaway deserves every good word, pat on the back, accolade, and audience member tear she gets for this.
  • Amanda Seyfried looks awesome in bonnets.
  • The hoodrat child is the best.
  • Hugh Jackman, I would like for you to come rearrange all my furniture with your brute strength while singing me lullabies.
  • Samantha Barks, your waist is so small it rivals Scarlett O'Hara's, and you sang "On My Own" almost as good as Joey Potter.  Just kidding, you were obviously better than Joey, but thank you, Dawson's Creek, for the first time I ever heard this song and my many years of not realizing it wasn't written specifially for your show.
  • There is always hope.  Always.  If these wretched, miserable peasants don't let it die, nor should you.  Hope is found in love, and, as ol' 24601 lets us know:  "To love another person is to see the face of God." 
Vive la France!  Vive la Revolution!

No comments:

Post a Comment