2.28.2012

Books I Read in February

One for the Money by Janet Evanovich
This one I read on recommendation from my mother, who has been bitten by the reading bug (I think my sister and I's endless obsessive conversations about HP and HG have contributed to that)!  Also recently a movie starring Katherine Heigl, this is the story of a down-and-out 20-something woman named Stephanie Plum who becomes a bounty hunter (how's that for a career choice?!), basically because she needs extra money fast so she can stop selling her own furniture in order to eat and buy gas.  She finds herself hunting down someone she, ahem, had relations with in high school, and hijinks ensue.  I did like Evanovich's dry writing style and sense of humor, but I didn't end up loving this book.  The humorous and lighthearted tone felt wrong to me when the subject matter (murder, prostitution, rape, female mutilation) was often so serious.  Nonetheless, it did make a good don't-have-to-think-about-it-too-hard read.  And, for those who have never heard of these books like I hadn't, this was actually first published in 1994 (which sometimes leaves you wanting to scream, "Just use your cell phone!!!!!" before you remember they weren't commonplace), and the series is now up to 18!

Sugar and Spice by Lauren Conrad
Despite my borderline disgust with the first book in this series, I went ahead and read the second.  I have good news and bad news about this one.  The bad news is:  This one is also written on a 5th grade reading level.  Actual dialogue from the book includes, "OMG!  Awesome!" ...  The good news is:  there was some actual character development!  There were plot points I did not find completely predictable!  There is someone named Liam!  Again, this is one of the easiest breeziest reads in the world, and I powered right through it in just a few hours, and I still (hate to admit that I) enjoyed it (and laughed not with it, but at it) quite a bit (sort of).


Crossed by Ally Condie
I didn't even know what the cover of this book looked like because it is the first book I have ever read on my KINDLE!!!!  I got my Kindle for Christmas, but have had a stack of "real" books I've needed to make my way through first, but finally, I got to read on a technologically advanced tiny computer!  Anyway, this is the sequel to a young adult book I read last month - Matched.  It continues the story of Cassia, alternating chapters from her point of view and from Ky's, as they search for each other, for answers, for words, and for the rebellion.  I enjoyed this book just as much as I enjoyed the first (this time we get to meet some new characters, discover some heartbreaking back story, and do some rock climbing!), I think in part because I love the way that Condie writes.  Poetry plays a huge part in the story of these characters, and the way that she uses phrasing throughout the rest of the book reflects that in a really beautiful way.  The third installment of this YA series will be released at the end of the year - yet another dystopian trilogy I can add to my list of loves!

Books I read:  January, Over the Holidays, October, August, July, June, May, April, last winter

No comments:

Post a Comment