1.05.2011

The Southwest Dress

I spotted this fun flannel fabric on Fabric.com (oh, how I love that place), and immediately knew I wanted to make a cold-weather dress with it.  I used Burdastyle's Anda pattern to stitch it up, using elastic instead of a waist tie, and adding the pockets to the sides.  Let me tell you:  this thing is comfy-cozy!  Just as you would probably imagine an elastic waist, flannel dress to be.



And because my favorite thing to do is add a cardigan or a blazer and some heels to any outfit and call it office appropriate, that's exactly what I did today!


What made this project all the more special:  I sewed it in my parents' basement, on my mom's vintage Singer 301 sewing machine, as she did all my pressing for me.  :)


8 comments:

  1. Thats adorable! I was wondering if I could commission a dress from you. E-mail me at Uncatchablegirl@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahh that vintage sewing machine is lovely! and so is that dress :) i love it.

    thanks for sharing...and i am sorry for my recent dissapearing act. hope you had a wonderful New Years love.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. okay i lloooooooove this dress. and i love that you made it on that sewing machine in the basement! lucky duck.

    ps: i read your comment at work and literally just laughed SO loud out loud. i may get fired. kidding, but that was seriously my favorite comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute - great use of that fabric, I'm wanting an Anda dress now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's nothing like a bit of southwest heritage to spice up office chic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't even tell you how excited I am that I found your blog. I've decided to get back into sewing (it's been a while, the last time I used a sewing machine was in 7th grade home ec.) So I'm super excited for some inspiration over here! Tutorials maybe?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. perfect peace - thanks for stopping! tutorials are an interesting idea...i'll see what i can come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your dress turned out so cute. And, I love the picture of my "vintage Singer 301"! It's been a good machine!

    ReplyDelete